I feel pretty comfortable baking most things. I've made all kinds of deserts and cookies, muffins, cheesecakes, brownies... But I've always been scared to try breads on my own. So when my friend Shaina posted her really great, super easy breadstick recipe, I decided it was time to take on the challenge. The first time I made them they were good, but not as good as I remembered hers being. They seemed kind of heavy. So I decided I would made them every night till I got it right! It really only took about three tries, and now they are perfect! So if breads have intimidated you, I would recommend trying this recipe. It's a great confidence builder!
Shaina's Breadsticks (with my notes in parenthesis!)
1 1/2 cups hot water (yes hot. The bowl cools it down)
2 T. Sugar
(dissolve these together and then add)
1 T. yeast (the first two times I used a rapid rise, the third time just active dry. The active dry seemed to do better)
Let dissolve five min.
Mix in:
1/2 t. salt
3 cups flour
Knead dough, adding more flour to make it workable (but I would say, add as little flour as possible just to make it workable, and don't knead it too much), and roll out (or press out with your hands) about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into slices (I used a pizza cutter to do this) and place side by side on your greased sheet pan (I also twisted them just to be fancy!). Melt 1/2 stick of butter and pour evenly over the bread. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and onion salt (Or I used a Johnny's Great Caesar! Garlic Spread seasoning mix I got at Costco. I put Johnny's in everything, just ask D'Lonna!) . Bake at 375 for about 17 minutes.
This is also the recipe I used to make pizza dough, as well as cinnamon rolls (haven't tried that yet, but now that I've mastered it as a breadstick recipe, I'm ready to give the other options a try). It makes pretty good pizza, but it tastes the best when used as a breadstick recipe. Enjoy (I do, Shaina. I do).
5 comments:
AH! I'm so glad you liked it to try it enought until it worked for you. They really are good breadsticks.
Ymmmmmm.
Okay, so I came to check out your blog and tried these bread sticks. I have never bought yeast in my life so the whole bread thing is a new experience for me. This seemed easy enough and it worked other than I used whole wheat flour and it was pretty dense, I'm going to try white flour next time to see if they taste better. The point is thanks for the recipe maybe I can keep up with my SIL's who are awesome at making bread sticks which is why I've never made them. Yeah for me for using yeast the first time in my life.
Good job Moth-woman! It's not so bad, is it? I definitely think white flour will work better for these, and like I mentioned in the recipe, mine got much better when I kneaded as little flour as possible into the dough. It's so fun to have you visit my blog!
Ok
So I failed at my first attempt. I don't know what I did wrong, but they were awful! Maybe I had to water to hot and killed the yeast. Maybe I had them to close together. But I will try again in a few day's when I have boosted my confidence level again. Thanks for the telephone support Tara!
Post a Comment